The Sanctuary was built upon the ruins of a Nasrid palace, which was the residence of the Queen Aixa Alhorra, Boadbil’s mother. After lying in a ruinous condition, the temple was built from 1631 onwards by Isidro de la Chica, who designed a Latin cross building with a single nave. Partially destroyed during the Civil War, it was restored during the second third of the 20th century preserving its original structure. The restoration was completed in the 60s by the local sculptor, Manuel González Ligero, with a wonderful altarpiece depicting the traditional local values regarding the legend and worship in honour of the Patron Saint of Motril, the Virgen de la Cabeza. The Treasury and tower can be visited by paying a 1 € donation fee.
Nuestra Señora de la Cabeza Sanctuary