It was built from 1510 to 1514 upon the antique Alixara mosque, in an area located to the north of the place which had been the centre of the Nasrid village. The master builder from Granada, Alonso Márquez built a Gothic-Mudejar style temple with a rectangular nave and large arches, four pairs of lateral chapels between buttresses, together with a slightly wider main chapel. This last one disappeared at the beginning of the 17th century when in 1603, an extension was carried out, adding a classical style transept. Unfortunately, on the 21st January in 1938, the chapel and a great part of the temple were destroyed by the explosion of an ammunition dump which was located in the temple. In the reconstruction of the church after the Civil War, it was rehabilitated to its original mudejar style temple. It has been declared as Heritage of Cultural Interest.