Calahonda is a small village which is only 13 km away (8 miles) from Motril. It boasts a coarse sandy beach with deep and crystal clear water. Deeply rooted in rod and spear fishing, its calm waters make this beach an ideal place for fishing and water sport enthusiasts.
Due to its proximity to the sea, winter is almost non-existent in Calahonda, making it a truly tropical paradise chosen by many people as a permanent residence.
Surrounded by well established residential areas, it is a quiet and a nearly unspoilt beach. That is the reason why this small fishing village is chosen as a holiday destination by travellers.
Calahonda offers quite a variety of accommodation options including hotels, cottages or apartments. It also boasts a delightful promenade as well as restaurants overlooking the sea.
Road access: Easy access from the N-340 road.
Pedestrian access: It is easily provided from the beach promenade, from the residential areas, and from different beach walkways located along the beach.
Public transport: Regular bus services
Car parks: There are 3 accessible car parking spaces in front of the Quay, along the Beach Promenade (angle parking) and close to the Church of Calahonda.
During the swimming season, there is one fully operational and well-equipped designated access point for people with limited mobility at the back of the main church with:
- Reserved car parks
- Wide beach walkways
- Fully adapted showers
- Accessible drinking fountains
- Fully accessible toilets
- Accessible Tourist Information and Lifeguard modules.
- Amphibious chairs at Lifeguard modules
- Lifeguard and First Aid modules
- Security (Local Police)
- Swimming area signs, buoy-marked zone and lanes for nautical activities
- Daily cleaning service (beach cleaning machines, beach cleaning vessels and manual cleaning), bins, rubbish sorting bins, rubbish skip for boats
- Daily maintenance service
- Beach walkways access
- Beach Promenade
- Quay and berth points. Concrete slipway for boats
- Tourist Information Service.
- Access points for people with limited mobility.
- Drinking fountains
- Toilet modules and toilets adapted for people with limited mobility.
- Playground area
- Information signs which include code of conduct pictograms
- Beach football courts
- Beach volleyball courts
- Table tennis area
- Accessible shady areas
- Shady areas for different uses.
- Leisure and environmental activities during the swimming season
- Restaurants and chiringuitos (beachfront bars)
- Kiosks (refreshments, ice cream, etc )
- Beach umbrellas and deck chairs for rent
- Nautical activities
- Scuba diving
- Leisure: sport, cultural and environmental activities